baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.2x and Xfree 3.3.2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.2x and Xfree 3.3.2
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 16:56:39 -0400 (EDT)

According to my resident hardware 'expert' (' a drip under pressure') the
system files have to go in a special area of the hard drive reserved for
system files, near the beginning, probably at the end of the boot sector.
If that is full of something else, or if that part of the drive has gone
bad, you will not be able to put on system files. Jim suggests
reformatting the c: partition, using MS DOS 6.22 format command. First
scandisk to see if there are bad sectors.

We assume that you have ONE drive in there set to single not master or
slave. If you set those wrong it may not boot.

Is the CMOS set to boot from A then C? Or removable media then fixed
media? (We just fixed a no-boot problem by fixing CMOS).

On Sun, 2 May 2004, James Miller wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > James Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > it seems nothing wants to boot from the first HD partition.
> >
> > Maybe FDISK /MBR (from a DOS boot floppy) could help?
>
> Tried that, both from the newly installed MSDOS (6.22) and from a DOS boot
> floppy, but it didn't help. One wierd thing is that when I try sys c: I
> get an error message to the effect that there's no room on the disk. I
> know that's not true: there must be at least 30MB of free space on that
> partition. I've got an old copy of Norton Utilities here I'll have to try
> running on that drive next time I can take a crack at it.
>
> > I am determined to keep BL3 small enough to fit on two 1.44mb
> > floppies. It's currently at 2,875,393 bytes.
>
> If only I had a working floppy in this laptop . . .

Are you sure you don't want an adaptor to let you transfer files via
parallel (printer) cable?