baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 boo

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 boo
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:03:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, russ loroville wrote:

> Sindi,
> Try this on one of the computers that won't boot linux-- add this to
> the boot.bat... ide=nodma. Some of the older computers have no "direct
> memory
> access" (dma).
>

> > This may be one of those computers that are just not usable for linux.

I put it after zimage and got 'not an image file, please specify the name
of the image file' as usual. This was on the first attempt to boot linux
after booting into DOS. Usually it tells me IO error reading initrd first
then the second time I try to boot 'not an image file'.

I did not expect this would help since we have three motherboards all DFI
ITBD (different revisions), 1997, one of which works and two do not (but
one worked from floppy disk - however we did not repeat that). Two older
boards by DFI work with linux, so it is probably not a design problem but
some hardware going bad. They probably were not usable with Windows which
is why they were given to us to recycle. That model may have been prone
to this problem. The one that works is, I think, the motherboard that we
used to replace another bad one after soldering in a replacement for the
broken battery holder.

We are concentrating now on finding a couple of computers that can be
upgraded from 133Mhz to 200MHz with the 233MHz cpus from these computers.
If all else fails I will run one at 175MHz in a computer with a problem
setting bus speeds (50 instead of 66 x 3.5).