baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:09:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> How have other basiclinux users ended up partitioning their drives and
> what sorts of operating systems do they have on them? Would it be better
> to start off with 2 or more partitions and split linux up among them
> (mount them all and if I decide I want to use more than one operating
> system, move all the BL2 files to one partition and unmount the others?).

On my current BL system I have hda1 as a non-gui win98 partition (and
linux boot partition with BL booting automatically from autoexec). Then
hdb1 is my BL drive. Once I have everything setup exactly how I want it
(no more tweaking, like that'll happen), I'm going to wipe win98 and
install dos6.22 on a minimal portion of hda1 (say like 20MB, leaving room
in case I want to play some old DOS games). The rest of hda (hda2) will
become my primary BL boot drive, and hdb will be partitioned up for swap
partition (possibly 64-128MB) and /home directories.

For the resizing of partitions, I'd recommend partition manager. It's a
free partition resizing tool. With it you can control whereat upon the
physical disk data is currently being stored, and even shrink/grow
partition sizes without destroying your data (but still backup just in
case). I've used it in the past and reccomend it. It an be obtained at
http://www.ranish.com (along with a few other pieces of software, but
haven't checked anything else out).

--
Matrix Mole