baslinux - [BL] Windows BMP

  • From: "David Lane" <Jaypooh3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Windows BMP
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:20:56 -0400

There is a file,but you should NOT delete it.The names of files that display
your 98 "splash" screens are as follows; logo.sys,logos.sys,and
logow.sys.Don't let the .sys file extension fool you,they are BMP files pure
and simple.Windows is written to show these files and deleting them can
cause it to crash.But,the good news here is,you don't have to settle for
what they want you to see.In DOS mode,run the ATTRIB command for the three
files mentioned (ATTRIB -r -a -s -h filename) then boot into Windows.Open
the paint program then open these files one at a time to find what their
attributes are (size,640x480 e.g.).You can then take ANY BMP file you want
to use for these functions and size them to match the ones being used.You
simply rename then to match what Windows uses and move them to the root
replacing the others in the process.You can get some interesting effects
this way.......lol.
As for the cable select feature,Anthony explained it better than I.The
other part of that is this,certain BIOS have the feature (unintentional I
would suppose) that when you install your hardrives this way it adds their
drive letter to the boot order.If,ergo,all your drives are bootable,then all
you do is specify the one you want after a:\.It's a poorman's substitute for
a boot manager but it works if the BIOS supports it.I used it once when a
drive I wanted to use had Win NT on it.Yes,NT has it's own boot loader,but
it wants to be the boss and stubbornly refuses to boot anything but another
Microsoft product (at least I couldn't get it too) and while I mostly used
NT at the time,I was playing with Oberon OS as well.While there was still
DOS on the drive,NT would boot it but when I finally got the drive pure
Oberon,that stopped working.I was told,and found by accident that my
motherboard and BIOS supported this and set it up.A poor solution to be sure
but it worked.It was just a thought.Sorry so long winded,just my way I
guess........lol.
David Lane