baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:30:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Matrix Mole wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>

> > How have other basiclinux users ended up partitioning their drives and
> > what sorts of operating systems do they have on them? Would it be better
> > to start off with 2 or more partitions and split linux up among them
> > (mount them all and if I decide I want to use more than one operating
> > system, move all the BL2 files to one partition and unmount the others?).
>
> On my current BL system I have hda1 as a non-gui win98 partition (and

How much space does non-gui Win98 occupy and is this something free or
must it be purchased?

> linux boot partition with BL booting automatically from autoexec). Then
> hdb1 is my BL drive. Once I have everything setup exactly how I want it
> (no more tweaking, like that'll happen), I'm going to wipe win98 and
> install dos6.22 on a minimal portion of hda1 (say like 20MB, leaving room
> in case I want to play some old DOS games). The rest of hda (hda2) will
> become my primary BL boot drive, and hdb will be partitioned up for swap
> partition (possibly 64-128MB) and /home directories.

How does one go about using one linux in two or more partitions? Apart
from mounting all the partitions (in fstab?) would I have to specify which
partition files are on, as in DOS? (c:\bl2\boot.bat versus
d:\baslin\boot.bat) Or would I just tell it the directory name without
the partition name? /home rather than /hdb2/home ? If the latter is
the case, I may as well make four primary ext2 partitions.

Can the same swap partition be used for several linuxes?

> For the resizing of partitions, I'd recommend partition manager. It's a
> free partition resizing tool. With it you can control whereat upon the
> physical disk data is currently being stored, and even shrink/grow
> partition sizes without destroying your data (but still backup just in
> case). I've used it in the past and reccomend it. It an be obtained at
> http://www.ranish.com (along with a few other pieces of software, but
> haven't checked anything else out).

Thanks, I just downloaded that and 13 pages of a primer on how hard drives
and partitions work. IDE, CHS, LBA. I put copies at my website. So you
have used this with linux and not lost anything?

Mr. Ranish appears to be Slavic. The best software for old computers
comes from the former Soviet Empire. Arachne, links, a nice DOS viewer
(all Czech), my favorite DOS spreadsheet (Slovak), a database manager for
DOS or linux (Ukrainian), a C-- compiler (Russian from Ukraine). Peanut
linux?

Sindi Keesan