baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:33:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Can I format the entire 1G drive as one ext2 partition, and
> > then later, with say 300 M of linux files on the drive, can
> > I split it into two 500M partitions without messing up linux?
>
> No.

Can I make a partition out of 1/3 of the drive and leave the rest as free
space, and then later add to the existing partition from the free space,
or make another partition, as needed?

On my current linux computer I have a 1G drive with 2 DOS partitions, and
one 500M linux partition. Could I delete the second DOS partition (hda2)
and add it to the linux partition (hda3 - except the labels may be wrong
because of DR-DOS)?

> > If I remove files from linux and then put more files on, do
> > they go into the contiguous free space at the end of the
> > partition
>
> I think that is what ext2 does.
>
> > or do they fill in the holes left by removing files?
>
> I don't think the holes remain. Because ext2 uses inodes,
> it can move things around when needed.

Does it move them around during bootup? Or does the user have to do
something to fill in the holes? I think you said there is no defrag
equivalent for linux.

> > How have other basiclinux users ended up partitioning their
> > drives
>
> 1: DOS
> 2: small Linux for experiments
> 3: main Linux
> 4: storage (eg backup of main Linux)

Could this sort of partition be used to store files from several versions
of linux (such as .tgz files downloaded from the web) along with images,
pdf files, and the like? What size is your partition 3? I never thought
I would need 500MB but compiling sure takes up space.