baslinux - Re: [BL] modem problem

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] modem problem
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 02:01:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> transcript.0 for this computer indicated that the modem was being sent atz
> and then at&d3. On another computer which dials properly the second
> string was at&f, which is what I usually give to unknown modems. (USR
> likes AT&F1 for hardware flow control).

at&d3 = "Reset the modem parameters to default configuration when DTR
transitions from asserted to de-asserted." So it seems that &d3 is used to
reset the modem when DTR is dropped (can't recall what DTR stands for off
the top of my head). I have a list of common modem init string commands on
my system from when I was working on my last winmodem trying to get it to
work right (all kinds of errors, never did track down).

>From my experience at&f at&f1 and atz all effectively perform the same
function. They reset the modem to standard default settings (some modems
have multiple default hardware settings, thus the reason for the f1 for
some of them).

> SO I put 0 0 init1 at&f
> at the end of eznet just after where Steven gives the instruction to add
> a modem init string (he suggests a slightly longer one and says to look in
> the modem manual, which people never give us with their used computers).

Most modems don't have manuals nowdays since there isnt' much need for
them. Only reason for a manual on modems is to help figure out where to
set the jumper settings (speaking of which... see below)

> Now it tells me
> registered device ppp0
> and then it also DIALS ON THE FIRST TRY!!!!

Yeah, you're cooking with gas now :)

> I don't know why the program was using at&d3 for this modem and at&f for
> the other one, but this has fixed it. Would at&f work for all modems if
> Steven were to include it in eznet.conf, or might it cause problems?

I don't think it would be a problem, most hardware modems should work just
fine with an at&f line in their init strings.

> Thanks for the information which led to the fix.

You're quite welcome.

> By the way, you overestimate my ability to understand source code. All I
> can do so far is run 'make' on it.

That's still better than I've gotten, I dread d/l source code right now
(once I wipe win98 and install dos622 I'll put development programs on for
building my own sources, or use cygwin, but till then I'll d/l binaries
only).

* From above (where Is said to see below): I have a modem laying around
here somewhere (in a box at the moment) that has jumpers for setting COM
port/IRQ or I can set it to use PnP. It's a USRobotics 56k Voice INT PnP.
I can't seem to figure out what jumpers to use to get the thing to work
outside of windows. If anyone knows where I can find instructions on what
jumper settings to use, I'd be very thankfull.

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org