baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: "David Lane" <Jaypooh3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:53:15 -0400

Sindi,
My experience with Linux so far is,what those partitions start out as,stay
that way,unless you want to reinstall the OS.The Linux file system is very
flexible and dynamic it seems but it defies being rearranged greatly from
what I see.
The hardrive in my little experimental box,has in essence,three
partitions.Cylinder zero (yes I go back that far) is the home of the MBR and
LILO.Cylinder one to one fifty seven is the swap partition.Cylinder one
fifty eight to nine seventy seven is the OS.
You say you don't use a swap partition,there was a time when we thought
64MB of RAM was plenty in Windows too.You could make a small,5 to 15 MB boot
partition,then a partition approximately twice the size of your available
RAM,that could be used for storage or whatever until the day you need a swap
partition.The rest of the drive could be the OS.If you ever need the swap
partition,move the files from it to a directory in the main partition.Then
boot the PC on the RAM version of BL(1-2-3) and fdisk the swap partition and
set it as swap,then install LILO or Grub and initialize it.You then reboot
back to the hardrive and edit your fstab to activate the swap on boot.
As for me,I'd put DOS on a separate hardrive with one primary,then as many
extended partitions as you want,but that's just me.Some BIOS will then let
you specify which drive is the boot drive as long as they are set to "cable
select".
Whatever you do,I'm curious to see how it turns out,please let us know.

David Lane