baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 svgalib with VESA driver for Links2 and zgv

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 svgalib with VESA driver for Links2 and zgv
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:34:56 -0400 (EDT)

> > I thought you also needed to install xbin.tgz and xlib.tgz
> > and xpm.tgz and xcfg.tgz and your bl2-x package, in BL2.
>
> Those packages are for a normal Xserver, not Xvesa. xpm.tgz
> is only there for icewm, X runs happily without it.
>
> > Is it really only Xvesa?
>
> The Xvesa executable in BL3 needs nothing else.
>
> > Where do I get rxvt,
>
> It's already in BL3.

But I am planning to use X with BL2 - do I need to install rxvt there
somehow? And don't I need rxvt in order to start Opera and if not can you
please tell me how to use opera with Xvesa without rxvt?

> > isn't that also needed with Xvesa?
>
> Nope. rxvt gives you a local xterm. If you don't need a
> local xterm, you don't need rxvt.
>
> > Are you sure it is only the Xvesa executable that I need?
>
> I can't speak for all the other versions of Xvesa. But I
> assure you that the Xvesa in BL3 definitely needs nothing
> else.
>
> > Did I set /dev/mouse at some point when installing BL2?
>
> IIRC that happens in BL2 when you installpkg bl2-x.tgz

So I DO need more than just Xvesa. Is it enough to install bl2-x.tgz and
then also xpm.tgz to use icewm (or at least the one library from there)
and whatever dependencies Opera has, which might be xbin and xlib, and a
few more fonts (how do I install just Verdana fonts?). What happens if I
install bl2-x.tgz without xvg16.tgz?

> > In BL3 you have to specify your mouse so I presume the link
> > needs to be made at some point in order to have /dev/mouse.
>
> That happens in BL3 when you execute startx for the first time.
Yes but I am talking about BL2.

> > Can you provide instructions for installing it with BL2 instead
> > of your other X installation?
>
> I'm working on BL3 now.

That sounds like a 'not now'. I will continue to experiment on my own
then.

> > It does help to have a window manager as well with it,
>
> Of course, that is why almost everybody runs a wm. However, it
> is not required. For example, in BL3, startxt does not run a wm.
>
> > I am putting together another computer this week and would
> > appreciate help in installing Xvesa properly without 10-20M
> > extra files.
>
> I suggest you have a look at how Xvesa runs in BL3. I imagine
> you could transfer it all to BL2.

> > Does Xvesa also adjust monitor refresh rates automatically?
> Doesn't the VESA bit do that?
If I knew I would not be asking you.

> > Do I still need an .xinitrc
>
> Xvesa does not normally use .xinitrc. I wrote the startx script
> and pointed it at .xinitrc (because it would be familiar to
> experienced X users).
>
> > I think I need a mouse to remove an image once I display it,
> > unless the focus is on that image,
>
> Doesn't ALT-TAB toggle the focus?

Without any window manager I don't think it did. I had a pile of 6 error
message (no network connection) on top of each other when I started Opera
offline, and could not remove them without first getting them into focus
by moving the mouse pointer to them.

> > Most X programs seem to be designed around a mouse.
>
> Duh.

This is why I prefer not to use X programs. Even if keyboard navigation
is possible, it is roundabout and requires going through several menus
instead of a single keystroke. Opera is a lot better than most.

> > I am tired of having to switch font sizes and geometry etc. to
> > get rxvt readable,
>
> Are you using an up-to-date version? That issue was fixed in BL 3.02.

I am using BL2 with X and trying to get the xterm readable. I have to
redefine it for each resolution. I may not bother if I use X only for
Opera, now that I can scroll with Shift-PgUp/PgDn in console mode, and get
132 or 100 columns.

I will experiment with Xvesa on a new installation, and keep better notes
about what is needed to just run one X program without window manager.
Opera requires several libraries, but I may not need to install the whole
package. How can I start Opera without rxvt using Xvesa?
Xvesa -screen 800x600x15 and then what?

All I managed to get working was:
Xvesa &rxvt -e icewm and then I would call up Opera via menu, or type it
into an xterm (I could not use the rxvt I made to run anything - no
prompt).

I also need some way to load a keymap with xmodmap and was using .xinitrc
for that. Can I still use .xinitrc or do I also need xinit installed?

First we need to run an experiment on upgrading/downgrading glibco and
whether glibc/glibcso 2.2.5 will compile using the other compiler packages
from SW71 (2.1.3). We put together a few more computers yesterday.