baslinux - Re: [BL] new BL3 - version 3.10

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new BL3 - version 3.10
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:17:02 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> Unfortunately, the thing has no floppy drive nor any
> current network connection, so the only way I can load
> anything onto it is by removing the HD and sticking it
> in another machine (ugh).

What about a null modem cable? DOS interlnk/intersvr has
worked on every machine I've tried it on.

> I really would like to see what a correctly configured
> 2.6 kernel would do on a 486 or older machine. If it
> gives the same effect I notice on my 1Ghz Celeron, it
> will really be worth the upgrade.

I think size will be the key factor. On old PCs where RAM
is limited, a large kernel occupies RAM that is crucial for
system performance. For example, I've done some rough testing
on systems with 8mb RAM (or less) and found a significant
deterioration in performance when available RAM is reduced.

> If I can be of any help in compiling such a kernel for
> testing on BL, please let me know, Steven. I've got some
> decent system resources on which to do it

I would be very happy for you to try to build a small 2.6
kernel (but I think you will be surprised how big it turns
out). It might be useful to look at the configs for some
of the Slackware lowram.i kernels (the config files are with
the kernels).