baslinux - [BL] Adding browser to Data CD

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Adding browser to Data CD
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:10:43

On 3 Apr 04 at 11:04, cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

>- boot to DOS from CD
>- boot Linux with loadlin.exe, start /etc/profile
>- mount CD
>- start links to read html files on CD
>
>No hard disk activity involved.

This turned out to be much more complicated than I expected:

1. The Boot stuff is restricted to limited to the size of a floppy.
So I had to reduce the BL1 image to half of its size in order to
put it together with DR-DOS system and BL1 kernel into the boot
image.

2. I put all the rest (in my case it wasthe whole /usr part of the
linux fs) into a fsimage2.tgz on the CD and added 'pkg fsimage2.tgz'
to /etc/profile. As soon as the CD is mounted on the Linux system
the contents of fsimage2.tgz will be added. The advantage is that this
package may be much bigger and include further BL add-ons (later
versions of links, lynx or mc).

3. Then I realized that Data CDs with pure HTML files can be a real
mess because of long file names. I have got a CD designed for
Windows containing:

1. spaces in file names

2. capital letters in directory names

3. 8bit characters in file names

Links 0.90-0.96 did not recognize any of these. Lynx, Links 0.99,
Links 2 and Firebird seem to recognize the spaces. But the 8bit
characters are really a problem. So if I want to browse the files
under Linux I will probably have to change any filename containing
accented characters. BTW: even mc and ordinary commands as cp and mv
seem to have problems with these file names.

Of course I can open any single html file from mc. But the links
between html files are encoded in iso-8859-1 and in the Linux file
system the 8bit characters in the file names are not compliant.

Christof

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov

  • [BL] Adding browser to Data CD, cce . zizkov, 04/04/2004