baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 svgalib with VESA driver for Links2 and zgv

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 svgalib with VESA driver for Links2 and zgv
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:02:46 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I thought you also needed to install xbin.tgz and xlib.tgz
> and xpm.tgz and xcfg.tgz and your bl2-x package, in BL2.

Those packages are for a normal Xserver, not Xvesa. xpm.tgz
is only there for icewm, X runs happily without it.

> Is it really only Xvesa?

The Xvesa executable in BL3 needs nothing else.

> Where do I get rxvt,

It's already in BL3.

> isn't that also needed with Xvesa?

Nope. rxvt gives you a local xterm. If you don't need a
local xterm, you don't need rxvt.

> Are you sure it is only the Xvesa executable that I need?

I can't speak for all the other versions of Xvesa. But I
assure you that the Xvesa in BL3 definitely needs nothing
else.

> Did I set /dev/mouse at some point when installing BL2?

IIRC that happens in BL2 when you installpkg bl2-x.tgz

> In BL3 you have to specify your mouse so I presume the link
> needs to be made at some point in order to have /dev/mouse.

That happens in BL3 when you execute startx for the first time.

> I thought it was an X server like xvg16 and needed to be used
> with all those other packages.

Nope. Xvesa is quite different from the other Xservers.

> Can you provide instructions for installing it with BL2 instead
> of your other X installation?

I'm working on BL3 now.

> It does help to have a window manager as well with it,

Of course, that is why almost everybody runs a wm. However, it
is not required. For example, in BL3, startxt does not run a wm.

> I am putting together another computer this week and would
> appreciate help in installing Xvesa properly without 10-20M
> extra files.

I suggest you have a look at how Xvesa runs in BL3. I imagine
you could transfer it all to BL2.

> Does Xvesa also adjust monitor refresh rates automatically?

Doesn't the VESA bit do that?

> Do I still need an .xinitrc

Xvesa does not normally use .xinitrc. I wrote the startx script
and pointed it at .xinitrc (because it would be familiar to
experienced X users).

> I think I need a mouse to remove an image once I display it,
> unless the focus is on that image,

Doesn't ALT-TAB toggle the focus?

> Most X programs seem to be designed around a mouse.

Duh.

> I am tired of having to switch font sizes and geometry etc. to
> get rxvt readable,

Are you using an up-to-date version? That issue was fixed in BL 3.02.