baslinux - Re: [BL] Adding X

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Adding X
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:02:36 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> I think BL1 has some kind of counterpart to BL2's (and Slackware's)
> removepkg, doesn't it

Unfortunately, no.

> Or maybe he could use something like pkgtool for BL1? Seems like
> there should be some such way to remove installed packages.

removepkg works by going through the package list created by
installpkg (in /var/log/packages) and deleting the files one-by-one
(after checking, I think, that no other package list contains that
file). The pkg command in BL1 does not create a package list.

> I don't know that Steven would ever make the sort of install-to-hd
> routine for BL3 that BL1 and 2 have.

It's not that difficult. It would only take 30 minutes to write
and debug the script. Maybe less.

> Certainly a way of getting BL3 loaded onto an ext2 partition
> could be worked out.

The script would be exactly the same whether you transfer to a
HD partition on a new loop. First, you format the partition
(or loop file), then you mount it at /hd and execute install
(the script). Once the script has transfered everything, you
umount and edit BOOT.BAT to find the new root filesystem.

> M$ is starting to file patents for things like xml and the FAT
> filesystem.

I believe the issue is with VFAT, not FAT.

> Couldn't this be a reason to consider moving the BL line away
> from the DOS filesystem,

My understanding is that FAT is safe (because it is too old
to patent).

> or at least making it more portable to a pure Linux environment?

Porting is easy. Just move the filesystem to its own HD partition
and replace loadlin.exe with LILO. Even BL1 had an add-on LILO
package.