baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 svgalib with VESA driver for Links2 and zgv

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 svgalib with VESA driver for Links2 and zgv
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:16:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > SVGAlib is used to provide graphics for links2
> > (graphical mode wihtout X), zgv, seejpeg, bmv
> > (a ghostcript viewer) and is a lot easier than
> > setting up X
>
> I disagree. It is not easier to set up SVGAlib.
>
> > I eventually found a doc file for svgalib that
> > said to put the line chipset VESA in libvga.config
>
> And you say that is a lot easier than X?

If I already have libvga.config all I need to do is choose the mouse (the
default is serial mouse Microsoft) and comment out the part about
accel_type, and then add chipset VESA.

To use SVGAlib - install elflibs and svgalib and edit that one file to
define the mouse (and optionally add chipset VESA).
Start your program, choosing the video mode you want at the time.

To use Xvesa install about five much larger libraries and edit a config
file to define your mouse (or learn how to do it command-line). Then
install a window manager, or figure out how to start other programs
without a window manager.

X without Xvesa is much worse than this.