baslinux - [BL] BL2 Xvesa without window manager, minimal installation

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 Xvesa without window manager, minimal installation
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:35:19 -0400 (EDT)

Xvesa -screen 1024x768x256 &rxvt -e opera

I could not find any other combination of Xvesa, &, -e, or exec plus opera
that would work for me. Looking at startx from BL3 just confuses me more.
Is there some way to start Opera with a single-line command that does not
involve rxvt?

If I use Opera without a window manager, it puts a stack of six
overlapping messages on the screen (or at 800 or lower res, they even go
off the screen) about no network (I am testing offline) and I can't remove
them so I can use Opera, unless I first get the focus on them by moving
the mouse pointer. (If I use a lower resolution the bottom one is off
screen and I can't even do that.)

If I start Opera from icewm, the focus is on the top error message (blue
stripe at the top) and I can keep hitting Enter key until the error
messages go away.

So some window manager seems to be needed to run X programs without a
mouse. I will try installing BL2-X and hope it works without needing
xcfg or xvg16, since icewm is keyboard-friendly.

Minimal installation for running Opera with Xvesa:

xbin.tgz
rxvt (78K) /usr/X11R6/bin

rxvt dependencies:

xpm.tgz /usr/X11R6/lib/*.so
libXpm (61K)

xbin.tgz /usr/X11R6/lib/*.so
libX11 (767K)

Opera dependencies:
xbin.tgz /usr/X11R6/lib/*.so
libX11, libXext (53K) and libSM (37K) and libICE (88K)

X files needed to run Opera with Xvesa about 1.1M total.
Other X programs may need other files.

OPTIONAL:

xfnts.tgz x100.tgz
Xvesa provides a few fonts. You can add about 3M of fonts.
Try installing then deleting all but lu* from 75 and 100
dpi directories.

xlib.tgz /usr/X11R6/bin
If you want to change the keyboard, get xmodmap.
This package also contains things like calculator and clock.

bl2-x.tgz
Adds icewm, to switch focus without a mouse, also lets you use icewm with
menu which Steven set up very nicely. Icewm installed is only 281K, over
half just themes (154K) and you can delete all but 5-7K of the themes
(keep just Win95 or Motif).

As Steven pointed out, if you don't have the default PS/2 mouse you also
need to make a /dev/mouse link:
ln -s /dev/tty0 /dev/mouse
(mouse on serialport 1) (?)

Even with all the fonts and a window manager, the above installation
should still be smaller than Opera itself (over 12M).

Problem with links2 graphical - I can find no way to switch between frames
using the keyboard, and even the mouse won't work unless the pointer
starts off on the first frame - otherwise it does not move. If I change
options so as not to show frames, it shows me only the first frame and I
can find no way to change to the second one. (Unlike lynx which lists the
frames as links). The help files that I found did not mention frames.
Help?