baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 01:43:01 -0500 (EST)

This all sounds very clever, but I am afraid I have not been understanding
the discussion about how to modify the size of fs.img files because it was
rather over my head. I hope you will eventually have the free time to do
this sort of thing yourself.

It would be simpler for me to just stick another hard drive in the current
computer, format it for linux and install to that drive and boot from the
first drive with boot2.bat, boot3.bat, etc.

I might want to do this to test out what the downgrade problem was, and
also to see if it is possible to upgrade just glibc and glibcso (and not
egcs binutils etc.) and be able to compile, before setting up a couple of
office computers on which I can get back to working in a few weeks.

> Here's a possible solution to your compiling problems, but one that
> involves starting over again from scratch. And it will only be helpful if
> you have a large enough hard drive. Make yourself a few fs.img's and
> install BL2 to them. One can be for compiling with one set of libraries,
> the other for another set of libraries. A third could be for mixed
> libraries but no compiling. Just boot to whichever you need by selecting
> right right boot.bat. If you foul something up in one or other of the
> fs.img's, you still have a couple that work fine. I suppose you might
> even be able to copy your current, mixed library BL install to some fs.img
> file (if you have sufficient system resources) and keep it as a starting
> point. If you want to attempt something like that you could probably get
> help with it onlist - I'd be willing to chip in, but I'd be using just
> logical deduction about how to do it and what's involved since my hands-on
> experience with this looped filesystem thing is limited to the few times
> I've managed to fiddle with BL3. Could be a learning expereince for all
> of us as well.
>
> This is sort of a shot out in left field and doesn't really flow well with
> your attempts at patching things up so far, so sorry if it just
> distracts/detracts. Anyway, there it is for consideration.

I might give up on patching and just reupgrade and add the later glibc so
I can compile again.