baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:23:57 -0400 (EDT)

requiring glibcso. You need to remove files from glibcso-2.1.3 manually.
2. It is possible to compile after upgrading glibc (from SW81) using
egcs, gmake, linuxinc and binutils from SW71.
3. You should NOT upgrade linuxinc because it is kernel specific.
4. If you do upgrade egcs, gmake and binutils (to gcc, gcc+++, gdb; make;
binutils) from SW81 it is 6.4 instead of 5.2M total .tgz package (1.2M
extra which expands when installed).

THE LONG STORY

I formatted a 170MB drive for linux ext2 and put it on my existing linux
computer as hdb and installed BL2 to it.

I deleted 3M of /usr/share/locale and /usr/lib/locale files (1M before
and 2 after adding the compilers).

I installed four compiler packages from SW71 and glibc-2.2.5 from SW81.
(cxxlibs is not needed for compiling c programs)

There is no need to also upgrade glibcso because it is part of glibc
(which answers one of my earlier questions). However, since this is not
an upgradepkg (there was no glibc to upgrade from), the 2.1.3 files need
to be deleted manually rm /lib/*2.1.3*

The total installation is 149M.

I was able to compile Hello World.
The 'as' and 'ar' from binutils also work fine here.

I did not try downgrading glibcso and glibc to see if I create any
problems like I seem to have done before. I was getting messages of inode
problems and things being fixed for a few boots so perhaps I have a
corrupted file somewhere causing problems.

glibc2.2.5 is needed to run Opera and some other precompiled programs.
The SW71 compiler packages are smaller, but not by much. (The SW91
packages are about double this size).

SW71 SW81
/d1
glibc glibc-2.1.3 22.4M glibc-2.2.5 24M (+LOCALE - 2M?)

egcs = gcc-1.1.2 3.3M gcc-2.95.3 1.8M
gcc+++ gcc+++2.95.3 1.9M
[optional gdb - .9M gdb 1.2M - needed for programming]
gmake GNU make 3.79 .3M make-3.79.1 .3M (25K larger)
binutils 2.9.1.0.25 1.6M binutils-2.12.90.0.9 2.4M

TOTAL without glibc 5.2M 6.4M

/a3
cxxlibs- .5M cxxlibs 6.2.1 .7M

TOTAL without glibc - 5.7M 7.1M

linuxinc 2.2.16 J 1.8M linuxinc-2.4.18 1M (yes, smaller)

Is there any good reason for us to use the later gcc, gmake, or binutils?
They add 1.4M of package which might expand to 10-15M or so.

On another computer I used the later linuxinc for kernel 2.4.18 from SW81
but things are compiling okay anyway. I should probably replace with the
correct version.

Do we need to keep the 1.5M zoneinfo files, or just set our own date/time
and delete it all? There are also lots of files pertaining to sound etc
in /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/config, presumably from linuxinc. Are
these needed for anything other than compiling kernels? 9M in /include.

Anyway, it should be sufficient just to upgrade glibc and nothing else in
order to be able to both run Opera 7 and compile, but the compiled program
may only run on a linux with glibc upgraded.

bmv compiled with glibc-2.2.5 appears to run okay on a computer with 2.1.3