baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:57:05 -0600

James Miller wrote:

I've just been asking about that, since I've got an old notebook that
needs resurrecting.
Same here I'd like to create a portable wireless internet station, I have 4 old notebooks which I'd like to use, I have wireless cards for all of them.

Steven is talking about adding some PCMCIA bits to BL3, along with a few
common NIC modules, and creating a script to give
some PCMCIA networking functionality.
This should be relatively easy. Just standard bits of Slackware, the slackware PCMCIA package includes several network cards. Some trimming could probably be done to limit disk usage.

Sounds great. I don't know how
much I can contribute - I can offer to do at least some testing with my
notebook, but time constraints will prevent me from doing much and will
make my contributions intermittent.

What kind of card do you have? You also should check to see if it is compatible with your old notebook. I find all of my old notebooks require 5 volt cards and they are difficult to come by now. It won't fit in the slot if it's the wrong voltage.

Wireless would be nice, and I do have
a card I can experiment with, but I don't know if Steven considers it any
kind of priority.

I can look into at getting the wireless extensions compiled, as soon as Steven says BL3 is ready, and if the kernel has the required option, otherwise a special kernel will have to be built.

James