baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:51:20 +1300

Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> What about support for notebooks, PCMCIA and Wireless?

To which James Miller replied:

> Steven is talking about adding some PCMCIA bits to BL3,

I will get on to that as soon as the base distribution is
bedded down. I'm hoping that 3.02 will be a keeper (but
I thought the same about 3.01 when it went out a week ago).

> Wireless would be nice, and I do have a card I can experiment
> with, but I don't know if Steven considers it any kind of
> priority.

I work by trial and error. Since I have no wireless gear,
there is no way for me to develop anything in that area.
However, isn't a wireless card just another PCMCIA card?
Put it in, cardmgr looks for it in the database and starts
the appropriate module. I suppose the real question is:
whether it is worth the space to have wireless modules in
the basic filesystem. If they are big, then the answer is
probably no. And a practical point: does Slackware 7.1
actually have any useful wireless modules? Remember we are
relying on Slack71 to provide modules for the kernel.