baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:15:47 -0600

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> What about support for notebooks, PCMCIA and Wireless?

To which James Miller replied:

> Steven is talking about adding some PCMCIA bits to BL3,

I will get on to that as soon as the base distribution is bedded
down. I'm hoping that 3.02 will be a keeper (but I thought the same
about 3.01 when it went out a week ago).

> Wireless would be nice, and I do have a card I can experiment with,
> but I don't know if Steven considers it any kind of priority.

I work by trial and error. Since I have no wireless gear, there is
no way for me to develop anything in that area. However, isn't a
wireless card just another PCMCIA card?

The support in linux requires certain option in the kernel. and support for wireless networking.
The other issue is that wireless cards have evolved very rapidly, so the various chipsets and features need specific support.
I worked on getting BL1 to support wireless and was minimally successful. BL2 proved to be to much for the hardware I was targeting.

Put it in, cardmgr looks for it in the database and starts the
appropriate module. I suppose the real question is: whether it is
worth the space to have wireless modules in the basic filesystem. If
they are big, then the answer is probably no.

You might want to look at supporting wireless option in the BL3 kennel it requires the kernel be compiled with *CONFIG_NET_RADIO* I don't think it requires many resources*.
*It is available in Slackware 7.1 you could add the PCMCIA module.

And a practical point: does Slackware 7.1 actually have any useful
wireless modules? Remember we are relying on Slack71 to provide
modules for the kernel.

The kernel has the options, if they are compiled in. The wireless extensions would likely need to be compiled and patched to work.

Cheers, Steven