baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:45:51 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James wrote:
> >
> > 386sx with 3MB RAM, if it will be used as an xterminal,
>
> 3mb RAM is too little for an Xterminal. With 3mb RAM
> it swaps when you move the mouse (which is not nice).
> On the other hand, 4mb RAM works surprisingly well as
> an Xterminal -- minimal swapping (after initial startup).

Would it still swap if you use an arrow mouse (keyboard instead of mouse)
or does that use as much ram?

> > I suppose 100MB HD would be a bare minimum, if one expects
> > to use the BL3 machine as a standalone computer
>
> I disagree. The current 15mb filesystem is sufficient for
> many purposes. For example, I am in BL3 right now, reading
> and sending mail (which for many people is the primary
> purpose of a computer). It works pretty well, but if I
> wanted something fancier, I could install Netscape 3.04
> (which will fit into the current filesystem).

I have already added links-ssl (500K), lynx (1M), and kermit (2M) which
required ncurses and zlib (another 150K). Can't think of anything else I
would want for online use (except a javascript browser like Netscape).

That still leaves 7M for accumulating old mails or adding ghostscript or
xpdf or more fonts. Maybe a console calculator or spreadsheet? What are
other users adding in their 10M?

Of course you can't compile too well in 10M - how much more space would
that require? Not just the compiler and libraries, but room for all the
source code and object files. I already had to compile kermit when I
could not find a precompiled version that worked and had the feature I
wanted. Nobody seems to care a lot about SW3.5 now.

> > for a standalone computer, 30MB is probably way too small.
>
> find/develop smaller applications. swm and e3pi are two
> examples of what I am trying to bring together in BL3: useful
> functionality in a very small footprint.

Don't forget Xvesa and rxvt. And even microcom.