baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 HArdware?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:36:30 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Would it still swap if you use an arrow mouse
> (keyboard instead of mouse)

Yes. The problem with 3mb RAM is that there is insufficient
room in RAM to hold all of Xvesa -- some of it is sitting in
swap. So, whenever Xvesa tries to do something (like react
to mouse movements), it has to swap parts of itself in and
out. As I say, not pretty.

> I have already added links-ssl (500K)

I played with links-ssl a bit and it seemed buggy. No outright
crashes, but it seemed to be less reliable than the usual links.

> lynx (1M),

links, links-ssl and lynx. That's what I call overkill.

> Maybe a console calculator or spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet package from BL1 will probably work. Wonder
if it needs ncurses?

> Of course you can't compile too well in 10M - how much more
> space would that require?

The GCC packages (with libc5) need around 15mb.

> > swm and e3pi are two examples of what I am trying to bring
> > together in BL3: useful functionality in a very small footprint.
>
> Don't forget Xvesa and rxvt. And even microcom.

Ah, micromon. I forgot about that. Another tiny gem.
And, of course, busybox itself is a collection of tiny
gems.