baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:33:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I might suggest to the author(s) to add some keyboard
> > method of making the menu pop up. F2? F1?
>
> We might even be able to do that ourselves. If you have a
> look in /usr/share/swm/.swm/button3, you will see the script
> triggered by pressing the right mouse button. If you rename
> the script button2, it will be triggered by the middle mouse
> button. It seems to me that it might be possible to remap
> one of the keys (like F2) to execute that same script. Perhaps
> by putting it in .Xdefaults or by using xmodmap?

I have not looked at this script yet, but I found
/var/X11R6/lib/xkb/compat/mousekeys (in Bl2) which looks like it somehow
maps the keys on the number pad and a couple of F keys and a few others to
move the mouse and act like buttons. This is way beyond my abilities to
understand. It uses xmodmap, like you said.

Do you want to set up just whatever part is needed to map the right button
so a key can bring up the menu? Maybe to the 5 on the number pad? Then
BL3 would work on computers without mice if you also remove -popup. It
would also help if the menu editing window were as large as the rxvt that
you have set up so that it could be used without a mouse (I can't access
it because the X is below not on it), at 800 resolution. This would also
let you see the whole menu if you added to its length.

I don't mind if you also map keys to move the mouse and let you press the
left button, but I would not want to use a calculator that way. Should be
useful with links, though.

Please don't map things to keys not present on XT keyboard.