baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:47:36 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Exactly what do I add at the end of .xinitrc to run /usr/bin/lynx?
> > I tried exec lynx, exec /usr/bin/lynx.
>
> lynx is not an X application so it must be
> executed via an xterm:
> --------------------------------------
> rxvt -fn 9x15 -geometry ??x?? -e lynx
> --------------------------------------

I think I managed at one point to get X in BL2 working without icewm or
any other wm (I installed Bl2-X before the other X packages and had no wm)
by typing xinit rxvt -fn ...... -e application or maybe without the
geometry specified. I will experiment with this some time. There is no
xinit but startx might work the same.

Or maybe just startx rxvt -fn ... & and then type in the program name?

> > Since I have deleted -popup from menu.sh, I can now Alt-Tab
> > between rxvt and the menu
>
> Are you now happy with the way the menu works?

Yes, thank you, except when I am stupid enough to delete the menu window
but I can exit X and startx again. I might suggest to the author(s) to
add some keyboard method of making the menu pop up. F2? F1?