baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:58:03 -0500 (EST)

> > Any idea what is going on with my cursor?
>
> Perhaps a different color scheme for rxvt would help?
> BL2 uses: -bg black -cr green -fg white

e3pi and pico are both using black backgrounds with white text, and the
cursor seems to be black by default, which might explain why I can't see
it. I will let you know only if it does NOT work to change just the
cursor color (-cr green) in the xterm. I think in 'edit menu' in the menu
I saw black text on white background and a black cursor. Maybe you want
to put -cr green in the xterm in your menu in the next version?
(I am in DOS right now so cannot check. Everything is a cheery amber on
black). I might try amber or yellow as -fg colors.

I think where I fill in the URL in links (the little box) might also have
been black text on white background, so that the black cursor showed up.

> > Steven why could I not have two sizes of xterm in the
> > menu without losing everything in the menu after the
> > first one?
>
> It was probably a syntax error or layout problem. When the
> menu routine hits an error, it ignores the remaining items
> and displays whatever it has of the menu. When setting up
> BL3, I had this happen several times (from my own syntax
> errors). There was, however, one particularly difficult
> one to figure out: when moving whole lines around the menu,
> I triggered something (line wrapping?) that stopped the menu
> routine reading beyond that line. This was fixed by using
> the backspace to drag the beginning of the suspect line back
> up to the end of the previous line and pressing ENTER.

I see why it took so long to set this all up to work almost perfectly.
Even for those of us trying to do strange things with strange hardware.

> > It might be helpful to have a choice of two sizes of xterm,
>
> You've got to be joking. It is easy for mouse-users to resize
> the window to anything they want. Alternatively, the geometry
> paramater can be edited in the menu (even from the CLI).

For non-mouse users how would I go about making two half-size xterms, one
in top and one in bottom half of the screen? Then I could run two
programs in split screen if I got tired of Alt-Tabbing between them.
For 800 res both -geometry 87x30 but where do I specify location?

> > except that I still dont have any cursor when using e3pi
>
> This is your nonstandard keyboard right? Xvesa drives the
> keyboard. It might be that Xvesa doesn't accommodate a keyboard
> like yours. Or, perhaps, there is an Xvesa parameter to address
> that issue.

I think you have solved my problem already - black cursor on black
background. I will try a green cursor. I also could not see the cursor
when using another standard keyboard which had 104 keys. (I don't see why
XT is not standard, there are more than one standard).

> Pico? Are you running pico on BL3? Or are you talking about
> losing your *remote* cursor?

Remote - but pico is also white on black there.

Wow, all my problems fixed in one day!