baslinux - [BL] Kermit 8.209 no-ncurses no-float for BL1(SW3.5) and ?BL3 (SW4.0)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Kermit 8.209 no-ncurses no-float for BL1(SW3.5) and ?BL3 (SW4.0)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:32:45 -0500 (EST)

http://www.iamjlamb.com/kermit-8209-sw35.gz 786,580 bytes
Download, gunzip to about 2M, you might need to chmod +x it,
put on the path (/usr/bin works).

If you use it to dial I suggest /root/.kermrc
set line /dev/ttyS1 (for com2)
set speed 115200 (unless you have a very slowm odem)

If you telnet also add:
set login (otherwise it will try to log you in as /? if you telnet)

You can write a script to dial and enter login and password - ask me how.

Tested out perfectly:
dials
transfers files via kermit on dial-in connection
telnets
ftps (even with user names starting in '.'
transfers files via kermit on kermit telnet connection

The no-ncurses version does not do the 'fancy full-screen file transfer
display' but still shows bytes and percent transferred.

No dependencies other than libc.
Should work for BL3 but not yet tested there.
I compiled this because
1. Microcom won't dial and log into my bbs
2. Busybox ftpput won't allow user names starting in '.'
3. Busybox wget won't fetch files via ftp when you need to log in
with any user name. (Regular wget works for ftp downloads that way).
4. My second shell account does not allow incoming ftp, and without
kermit file transfer I would need to upload via mail, and download by
putting everything in my web directory (a nuisance).
-------------------
To compile it yourself go to www.columbia.edu and follow the links to
C-Kermit, source, download about 3M of cku209.tar.gz and unpackage with
tar -zxvf into an empty directory.

make linuxnc KFLAGS=-DNOFLOAT

This will produce a lot of documentation (.txt files telling you how to
use the program - ckututor.txt is a good start) and wermit. Chmod +x
wermit, try it out from the directory where you compiled it, and if it
works rename to kermit and put on the path (/usr/bin works).

Downloading at 33K and compiling on 486/75 with 24M RAM each took about 30
min. Hunting for various files from ncurses which it turned out I did not
really need took quite a bit longer. Many Thanks to Frank da Cruz
of Kermit for walking me through this.

nc - compile without ncurses (no dependencies except libc5).
nofloat - the precompiled version for SW40 won't work with BL3 because of
some floating point requirement which BL3 does not meet.

Frank at Kermit says there will be version 2.11 out shortly but I may not
bother to spend an hour fetching and compiling it. I compiled with BL1
and compiler and library files from SW3.5.
ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/slackware has SW3.6 but not 3.5 (it is listed but
seems to be empty) from which to get your own egcs gmake glibc etc.

If BL1 goes away it will be more difficult to compile for BL3. I would
appreciate if the basic 2M package and the install-to-hd package could
stay posted, and also the add-ons for BL1 ought to work with BL3 but not
vice versa.

Would someone else set up for compiling with BL1 with X want to try
compiling ratpoison? I don't have space on this laptop for X.