baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:35:43 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > what you want, remove it (~/.xinitrc). Just start all
> > your applications in ~/.xinitrc (fullscreen) and use
> > ALT-TAB to page between them.
>

> I don't understand what you are saying here. How do I start an
> application in ~/.xinitrc? Do I need to edit .xinitrc every time I want
> to start an application? There was some way to start applications
> directly without editing .xinitrc - can you tell me how? startx -e
> application & ....? I had it working once in BL2, with Opera,but Opera
> gets unhappy without a wm.

Here's what I think he means, Sindi. You can edit ~/.xinitrc and add to
the end of it the names (maybe with paths) of all the applications you
think you might use on your computer. You also stipulate (not sure how)
that all these apps should open full screen. And no, you don't/shouldn't
need to do it numerous times - just once. Then, each time you run startx,
you get an xsession with all your apps already open in it, one behind the
other (I suppose the last one listed in ~/.xinitrc would be the one in the
foreground once xvesa finishes opening). Then, to move from one app to
another, you just hit alt-tab, which cycles through all open app windows.
Is it understandable? I think he's got a good solution for you here. As
small as swm is, I really doubt ratpoison is going to use any less
resources. Of course ratpoison's advantage is that it has a boatload of
keyboard functionality. But why don't you try out Steven's method before
you go to all the trouble of compiling another prog? You might find it's
a close enough approximation to what you need. And it should minimize
need for input from the mouse.

James