baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:34:39 -0500 (EST)

> The following should be about right for 800x600 screen:
> -----------------------------
> rxvt -fn 9x15 -geometry 87x38
> -----------------------------
>
> The following should be about right for 640x480 screen:
> -----------------------------
> rxvt -fn 9x15 -geometry 69x30
> -----------------------------
> For other screen sizes (and fonts), you will need to tweak
> the geometry numbers.

For 800 this also works:

-fn 11x19 -g 70x25 but the font is still not very good looking compared
to console font. Is there some other 11x19 font to try that would be more
readable? block and black still look too similar.

I think I was able to add bold fonts with -fb followed by the name of the
bold font. I will copy some over from BL2 and experiment.

I have three xterms now - one for 640, two for 800. The one with smaller
font size and more columns should be useful when using links so that I
don't need to scroll left and right so much to see wide tables.

In DOS, I was using smaller (120 columns) VGA screen (console) fonts to
browse, or even Cyrillic (small or large) fonts. (We even designed three
Cyrillic fonts when we could not find what I wanted to view Macedonian,
and these fonts also work in linux.)

I have not yet tried this with linux online but there are scads of fonts
available in a SW package along with the font loader.

Instead of actually loading different fonts, in DOS I can also use vmode
(or perhaps even the DOS mode command) to load different sizes of VGA
fonts by their number. Is there something similar for linux, that you can
do after booting, to change between numbers of columns and rows, other
than load different sizes of font with the loadfont program? I am not
after different styles of font but just different sizes of the same style.