baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:44:05 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > How do I start an application in ~/.xinitrc?
>
> ~/.xinitrc is the standard startup file for your X desktop.
> Every application you list in ~/.xinitrc will automatically
> appear on your screen when you startx.
>
> > Do I need to edit .xinitrc every time I want to start an
> > application?
>
> No, you can start an application anytime from an xterm.
> Or you can start all your applications in ~/.xinitrc and
> page between them.

Could I instead put four rxvt's into .xinitrc and start whatever
applications I wanted from them, using Alt-Tab to go between the rxvt's?

> > I hit the Enter key to get rxvt (xterm).
> > I get an rxvt window. I type e3pi test.
> > The X is in that window so I can use it (without a mouse).
> > I can type, backspace and delete
> > (after loading my own xmodmap for 84-key keyboard),
Without loading xmodmap.84 I could still type, and there was no cursor.

> I didn't do that. It is not necessary. The backspace
> and delete work fine as is.
On an XT keyboard the arrow keys and del don't work.

> > but there is no cursor.
>
> My cursor is fine. The problem is with your 84-key keyboard
> and/or your use of xmodmap.

I had the problem before fixing the keyboard map. How would my keyboard
affect the cursor? On this computer with AT keyboard, no xmodmap run, and
BL3-00 I also have no cursor when using e3pi in X but the arrow keys work
okay. I recall your changed terminal emulation or something in bl3-01 -
should that have fixed my cursor problem?

> > I will try making rxvt full-screen.
>
> The following should be about right for 800x600 screen:
> -----------------------------
> rxvt -fn 9x15 -geometry 87x38
> -----------------------------
>
> The following should be about right for 640x480 screen:
> -----------------------------
> rxvt -fn 9x15 -geometry 69x30
> -----------------------------

I edited menu.sh and removed -popup, and added an xterm/rxvt line above
the existing one and identical to it except for 87x38.
I typed startx and the menu now includes ONLY xterm and a white blank
space below it that I can arrow to. What might I have
done wrong to mess up the menu? Putting back -popup does not help.
exec MENU -teleport \
'xterm ...87x38 ... \
'xterm ... \

I hit the Enter key and got a full-screen rxvt at 800 resolution.
Without -popup, Alt-Tab toggles the menu to the foreground.

> > Lynx won't show images in console mode in BL3, it needs
> > X for that (xli).
>
> lynx has no inbuilt ability to display graphics. It relies
> on an external application which then displays in either SVGAlib
> or X (depending on which application).

zgv does not use either, it uses a bunch of other libraries. I think I
have that working now with lynx in BL2. Most of my video cards don't
work with seejpeg, which uses svgalib.

> > BL3 does not have the bold fonts needed for pine/lynx in X.
>
> Exactly which font do you need?
> What is happening now? Do you get a non-bold rendition?
> Or nothing at all?

non-bold. I will check this out more some other time after playing with
swm. In lynx the links are supposed to appear bold. I have numbered them
so I can find them when they are not bold. Another solution might be to
use colors in lynx. I omitted lynx.lss to save space, and that is
probably what provides the colors. (I prefer mono).

I could try adding 9x15 bold font. Will see what I have in BL2.