baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:10:12 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> > Which crucial tasks are you thinking of? Moving/resizing
> > windows may be convenient, but not crucial. The position
> > and size of a window can be set as parameters when an
> > application is first called.
>
> Things you cannot do without a mouse:
> Use the calculator.

Will ratpoison help you do that?

> Edit the menu at 800 resolution - X is not on that window.

You can easily edit the menu from the CLI.

> Change wallpaper

No need to use X to change wallpaper. Set it in ~/.xinitrc

> and then do something else - no menu.

As I said before: CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE then startx

However, the menu is not the issue. If it doesn't do
what you want, remove it (~/.xinitrc). Just start all
your applications in ~/.xinitrc (fullscreen) and use
ALT-TAB to page between them.

> Run more than one program in a row from the menu - you
> exit the one program and lose the menu. Even editing
> the menu loses the menu.

As I said before, to stop the menu disappearing, remove
the -popup parameter from:
--------------------------
exec MENU -popup -teleport
--------------------------

> e3pi behaves differently when editing the menu - why?
> It has a cursor, and when you hit Ctrl-X you lose rxvt.

Why would you expect rxvt to remain? You called e3pi:
e3pi starts, e3pi ends. The fact that e3pi runs in an
xterm window doesn't change that.

> If you run e3pi from the menu/xterm,

I don't understand what you mean? Do you mean start rxvt
and then start e3pi from inside that window?

> no cursor,

I have a cursor (a little black square). No problem.
Perhaps you should give a step-by-step for losing the cursor?

> and Ctrl-X exits e3pi but not the rxvt.

Because you started e3pi from a running xterm. When you
exit e3pi, you return to where you were.

> Alt-Tab to switch between windows is not very usefu when
> you can only run one program at a time,

Who said you can only run one program at a time????

> Is it possible to save any space by not having a mouse
> driver

Nope. X drives the mouse. There is no separate driver.

> replacing the window manager if I can compile ratpoison.

A waste of time IMHO. Tweaking swm to do what you want is
*much* easier than trying to get ratpoison to run.

> Would the full-screen window in ratpoison use the regular
> console fonts for console programs, rather than X fonts?

I doubt it. In what respect is a full-screen window in
ratpoison superior to a full-screen window in swm?

> There are no colored strips or scroll bars in ratpoison.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? You might think a
scroll bar is useless without a mouse; however, it does
show you how full the scrollbuffer is and where you are
within the scrollbuffer. BTW it is easy to make the
scrollbuffer bigger/smaller.

> I am hoping for something that still provides a scroll
> buffer (for use with Kermit).

That is provided by rxvt, not by the wm.