baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 - microcom

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 - microcom
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:44:13 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > It works with pcplus or kermit and no script. Dial,
> > connect, you are asked for login, enter it manually,
> > you are asked for password and given plenty of time
> > to enter that manually. WIth microcom you don't get
> > any chance to enter the password. Within 1 sec of asking
> > for the password it tells me wrong password.
>
> microcom works fine here. I've just tried dialing some
> ISPs (where I am not a member) and found one that still
> uses an old-fashioned login (rather than PAP/CHAP). It
> asked for username (I typed in bill) and then password
> (I entered some random letters) and then it replied
> (after I pressed ENTER): LOGIN INCORRECT. It let me
> try twice more and then disconnected (NO CARRIER)
>
> There was no problem with the entry of the password
> -- it waited peacefully while I entered the characters.

Thanks for giving this a try. It definitely does not wait at all for my
password. login: (waits for me to enter it)
keesan's password: (no wait, immediately tells me)
Incorrect password:
login:

I gave it the command atdt7615041 without send before it, and it appeared
to go offhook without dialing. I had to give it the same command a second
time before it dialled. I recall it only going off hook a few other
times, which is why I added the 'send'.

My password is only alphanumeric but that is irrelevant since I never get
any chance to enter it.

> > Someone more familiar with linux/unix stopped by to
> > see BL3, and could not get microcom working either.
>
> Same password? Same system? Something wrong at your
> end (not a microcom problem).

pcplus and kermit work fine. Even Hyperterminal works. I must be using
microcom wrong somehow. What exactly should I be typing, without the use
of a script?

Would ncurses plus the ftp program from BL1 be smaller or larger than
kermit for SW3.5? Kermit will dial (instead of microcom), and also do ftp
and file transfer via telnet. With 10M to play with, even lynx (2.6)
ought to fit. Lynx will do ssl (I assume version 2.6 does ssl) and
images, links-0.9 images and table/frames, links-ssl will do ssl,
tables/frames but not images. Lynx plus links-0.90 as a downloader would
do it all.