baslinux - Re: [BL] links-ssl

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links-ssl
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:54:08 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I am telnetted to my shell account with BL3, writing Pine
> mail, and there is NO CURSOR. In rxvt. How do I fix this?

Could be a TERM issue. When you are in rxvt (local), do this:
----------
echo $TERM
----------
Then telnet to your account and do the same thing there.
Are the TERM settings the same? Do the same test (pre-
and post-telnet) from the CLI. Get the same results?

> And how do I set it to have a few more columns so I can
> read all of what I am typing (8 more might do it).

I assume you've clicked on the wee square to make rxvt
go full-screen? If you still need more columns, you can
reduce the font size. Your available fonts are: 11x19,
9x15, 6x13, 5x8. There are also three Helvetica fonts,
but AFAIK they can't be used for an xterm (because they
are variable width).

> Where do I edit rxvt settings

In the X menu, click on Control Panel. Edit the menu
and change the xterm line. Next time you click on xterm
in the menu, you will get the new setting.

> Could you make the default rxvt 2 columns wider,

You can do that by editing the rxvt parameters in the
menu. Alternatively, you can resize a window when
needed by right-clicking on the X (in the top right
corner of the window).

> or would that not work at 640 resoulution?

You've correctly surmised that the rxvt geometry was
designed to keep the window on the 640x480 screen.

> Can you use a small enough font to get 78 columns plus
> scrollbar in 640 res?

The 5x8 font is pretty small. Even the 6x13 might work.

> If I hit the [] in upper right with the mouse arrow,
> the window does not get larger.

Strange. Did you left-click it? If so, try clicking it
a few times more. One of my mouses sometimes doesn't
register the first click (don't know whether the problem
is in the mouse or in the Xvesa routine for that type of
mouse).