baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 - microcom

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 - microcom
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:19:37 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> What init string is the ppp-on routine using? That works fine.

That is done by eznet. I believe it tries several different
init strings (suitable for differernt brands of modems).

> I usually use AT&F for everything.

Is that all there is in your kermit/pcplus init strings?
I can remember from the old BBS days that people often
had problems with their modems until they found the right
init string for that modem. Perhaps more up-to-date modems
no longer have that problem?

> That is the default for microcom (AT&F appears on the
> screen if you just type microcom and it tests every port).

I'm not too sure that microcom has a default. It certainly
does send AT&F when trying to auto-locate the modem (which
fails for my modem, by the way). But that doesn't mean it
automatically sends a default init when you start the main
program. microcom is just a bare tool -- it is up to the
user to tell it exactly what to do.

> Kermit needs ncurses. I might use it anyway if I can't
> get microcom working,

It works fine for me. I suggest you go through the ATi
codes (ATi1 ATi2 ATi3 ...) until you find the one that
dumps your modem's registers (ATi7 ?). Make a note of
the values in microcom and then do the same thing in
kermit/pcplus. Any differences?

> > BTW, BL3 comes with ldd (and file).
> What does file do?

It tells you whether file_name is a binary or library or
script or image or whatever. It is particularly useful
for identifying a compressed file that has accidently lost
its suffix.
file file_name
It works by scanning file_name and comparing the contents
to a database of known types (/etc/magic). For more info:
--------
man file
--------
BTW, file is not new to BasicLinux. It was in the HD version
of BL1.