baslinux - Re: [BL] links-ssl

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links-ssl
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:14:14 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I am telnetted to my shell account with BL3, writing Pine
> > mail, and there is NO CURSOR. In rxvt. How do I fix this?
>
> Could be a TERM issue. When you are in rxvt (local), do this:
> ----------
> echo $TERM
> ----------
> Then telnet to your account and do the same thing there.
> Are the TERM settings the same? Do the same test (pre-
> and post-telnet) from the CLI. Get the same results?

linux in all four cases.
I just noticed that there is also no cursor in rxvt when NOT telnetted.

> > And how do I set it to have a few more columns so I can
> > read all of what I am typing (8 more might do it).
>
> I assume you've clicked on the wee square to make rxvt
> go full-screen? If you still need more columns, you can
> reduce the font size. Your available fonts are: 11x19,
> 9x15, 6x13, 5x8. There are also three Helvetica fonts,
> but AFAIK they can't be used for an xterm (because they
> are variable width).

I need to click on the square before running programs in rxvt in order to
enlarge what I am reading/typing to full screen, otherwise I get the same
size black window on a large white screen. Fixed. I am not used to
xterms.

> > Where do I edit rxvt settings
>
> In the X menu, click on Control Panel. Edit the menu
> and change the xterm line. Next time you click on xterm
> in the menu, you will get the new setting.

Found it, similar to icewm setup. I can also add programs there.

> > Could you make the default rxvt 2 columns wider,
>
> You can do that by editing the rxvt parameters in the
> menu. Alternatively, you can resize a window when
> needed by right-clicking on the X (in the top right
> corner of the window).
What else do I need to do after right-clicking? Nothing seems to be
happening. If I try to drag the sides wider it just moves the whole
window.

> > or would that not work at 640 resoulution?
>
> You've correctly surmised that the rxvt geometry was
> designed to keep the window on the 640x480 screen.
>
> > Can you use a small enough font to get 78 columns plus
> > scrollbar in 640 res?
>
> The 5x8 font is pretty small. Even the 6x13 might work.

I will experiment at 800 res. I got this working with icewm but I thnk I
needed to choose somethng that also did bold, for use with lynx at the bbs
and toher programs that use bold (pine?). I might need to add a font -
could I just copy them from BL2 or are they library specific?

A not-very-computer-literate friend of ours (who cannot handle WORD for
DOS - the backspace key does not delete, just highlights) is complaining
that she cannot read the ends of some lines of mail with pine, and I might
try to set her up with BL3 and wider lines if possible. DOS does not
offer enough choices - 100 columns makes the characters too small for her
to read. But she likes to print out all her emails. First I need to get
a cursor working in rxvt before trying to get microcom to work there.
But probably liux is beyond her as she has not yet learned to use DOS
commands.

> > If I hit the [] in upper right with the mouse arrow,
> > the window does not get larger.
>
> Strange. Did you left-click it? If so, try clicking it
> a few times more. One of my mouses sometimes doesn't
> register the first click (don't know whether the problem
> is in the mouse or in the Xvesa routine for that type of
> mouse.)

It works only if I enlarge the window before running programs in it, otehr
wise what is on the screen stays occupying the same space as before, with
the same font size. As I said, I am new to xterms.

Does anyone else get a cursor in rxvt? This is on the computer where the
mail program behaves properly (I can see the numbers that I type in the
menu. Jim was saying something about four video pages and the cursor is
on the first one and he has often lost his while rewriting his DOS text
editor to work in two char sets at once split screen.