baslinux - Re: [BL] Realplayer 8 segmentation faults

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Realplayer 8 segmentation faults
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:13:35 -0500 (EST)

I have set up a test linux on a 170MB hard drive and installed the
packages needed to run xvesa:

1. xbin.tgz
2. xlib.tgz (needed by Realplayer and probably other programs)
3. xpm.tgz (needed by icewm)
4. bl2-x.tgz

I should probably also add xfnts but things work without it - system
fonts.

xlib.tgz is quite large - how much of it do we really need? I know Steven
said he got the X package down to 2M and xlib.tgz alone is 2.7M - was this
just by deleting documentation?

I was able to install Realplayer8 on one computer and then move this drive
to three other computers and it also installed there.

One of these computers is set up with a larger linux installation that
includes all of these packages and lots more. I have also upgraded the
runtime libraries. But not upgraded the libraries used for compilation.
I CANNOT get Realplayer8 to install on this setup. I can put in the test
drive and it lets me install on the same computer so it is not the
hardware. It is not a defective file because I plugged in both drives
and tried to install from the copy that I now works.

I had both drives set as 'single' so it is not that. They were both on
the first controller.

What is different is:

1. The physical drive itself. It works fine for linux otherwise.
2. The software on the drive. Apparently something on there is causing a
segmentation fault. What? This drive contains everything on the test
drive EXCEPT the older runtime libraries.

I could also install Realplayer8 on a computer with both runtime and
compilation libraries updated to those from SW81.

I am having trouble compiling ncurses and the problem appears to involve
glibc.so. Perhaps it is not a good idea to mix one version (runtime) with
another version (compiler) for glibc. I may try removing the later
runtime library temporarily and putting back the older one to see if
realplayer will install and ncurses will compile.

What package(s) do I need to reinstall the older runtime libraries?
I don't recall any cxxlibs used to install bl2 to hard drive.
Is it just glibc.tgz?

I cannot use Realplayer without the later runtime libraries unless I
downgrade Opera, since Opera 7 needs the later libraries.