baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 03:25:25 -0500

Hi Sindi,

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:42:05 -0500 (EST)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> I put together a temporary linux hard drive (using plip to transfer files)
> and was hoping to manage with just xvesa.tgz and bl2-x.tgz but apparently
> that is not enough to get xinit or startx. What other file(s) do I need?
> Probably not xvg16.tgz or xfnts.tgz, but do I need all the others on the
> list for X? xbin xcfg xlib xpm and most likely startx?

I think you do ......

> The idea is to attempt to install Realplayer 8 on various motherboards and
> cpus by moving the hard drive between computers until I find one or more
> than will not give me a segmentation fault, and then set up the full linux
> there (on another hard drive). Should this work?

I have been told by a local techie that segmentation faults occur when a
program cannot find a library (or something) that it needs to continue.

If you are getting segmentation faults with RealPlayer8 maybe you should
be looking to make sure that all the libraries and other packages for X are
present, and that you haven't selectively cherry-picked from the full packages
but left something out.

If I am wrong, please correct me Gurus !

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke