baslinux - Re: [BL] Realplayer 8 segmentation faults

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Realplayer 8 segmentation faults
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:56:37 -0500 (EST)

We took the linux drive that let me install Realplayer 8 on the Gateway
PII 266MHz and that did not let me install it (after I deleted it) on the
PI 166 MHz but gave me 'translation table syntax error', and tried it on a
PI 133 and got the same error messages. Then we put it back in teh
Gateway and got the same error messages and it would not install.

What is going on? Did the software somehow get changed by moving it
around between computers? On one computer there was a complaint about
zimage not being a disk image and it would not load linux at all.

I did a websearch on these messages and found related topics in Japanese,
Hungarian, and WinNT (something about don't make changes to teh registry
or the operating system will be affected). Any ideas what happened here?

I could wipe the drive clean and start over. Or is there something that
might have been changed when I moved it around, that is no longer correct
for the original computer? It would only take about 1 hour to start fresh
but I want to learn something from this mess first.

The drive went to three computers before it came back:
1. P166 where it behaved slightly differently from the original drive
(error messages as well as seg fault).
2. AMD 300 where it would not recognize the zimage or boot linux
(and then the origianl drive would boot linux but got the same error
messages)
3. P133 where it got the same error messages.

Then back to the original computer with the same error messages, which it
did not original get (it originally installed).

We will check for viruses just in case.