baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 16:42:03 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:42:05 -0500 (EST)
> Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:
>
> > I put together a temporary linux hard drive (using plip to transfer
> > files)
> > and was hoping to manage with just xvesa.tgz and bl2-x.tgz but apparently
> > that is not enough to get xinit or startx. What other file(s) do I need?
> >
> > Probably not xvg16.tgz or xfnts.tgz, but do I need all the others on the
> > list for X? xbin xcfg xlib xpm and most likely startx?
>
> I think you do ......

I did not - just xbin.tgz, and if I wanted icem also bl2-x.tgz and xpm.tgz
(which icem complained that it needed). I probably don't need most of
xbin either, as it is 2.7M and Steven said ALL hte X stuff was about 2M.

> > The idea is to attempt to install Realplayer 8 on various motherboards
> > and
> > cpus by moving the hard drive between computers until I find one or more
> > than will not give me a segmentation fault, and then set up the full
> > linux
> > there (on another hard drive). Should this work?
>
> I have been told by a local techie that segmentation faults occur when a
> program cannot find a library (or something) that it needs to continue.
>
> If you are getting segmentation faults with RealPlayer8 maybe you should
> be looking to make sure that all the libraries and other packages for X are
> present, and that you haven't selectively cherry-picked from the full
> packages
> but left something out.
>
> If I am wrong, please correct me Gurus !

I installed ALL of the suggested X packages on both of the other computers
and they still got Segmentation faults. Other people also got
Segmentation faults on different computers. Many of these were
Sparc/SunOs, at least one was another Slackware setup in i386. I will
test this drive in the two computers where I got segmentation faults to be
sure it is not software related.

The only computer so far where it worked is the one where I installed only
xbin xpm (probably not needed if I knew how to open an xterm without a
window manager) and bl2-x. Plus Opera and the packages required for
installation to hard drive. (Also mc but I doubt that is related).

Sindi Keesan