baslinux - [BL] Realplayer 8 segmentation faults

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Realplayer 8 segmentation faults
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:09:09 -0500 (EST)

I am trying to find computers that will let me install Realplayer 8, which
many people at the Real Linux users' forum report won't install. Instead
they see 'segmentation fault'.

Summary of previous chapters.

1. On my no-name pentium with Intel P166 cpu (f0 0f bug) it does nothing
but tell me segmentation fault, when I try to install using the X3 server.
2. On the COmpaq AMD K6 500Mhz (with reset problem fixed by hdparam) it
says segmentation fault but installs anyway.
3. Ron Clarke reports having installed to AMD K6 400MHz.

Today's events:

So I put together a 200MB test hard drive with BL2 (the minimum needed for
hard drive) plus xbin.tgz, xvesa.tgz, and in order to use icewm also
xpm.tgz (needed by icewm) and bl2-x.tgz. Xvesa and icewm work fine
without the other files formerly suggested for X, and Opera installs and
works fine (but with system fonts only as I did not install other fonts).

I used a Gateway 266 PII froma friend (known good board).

4. RP8 installed perfectly with no error messages.

5. I took this drive to the P166 and substituted for the existing linux
drive.
Tried to install and this time I got several pages of:
Translation table syntax error. Unknown keysym name:
(followed by many different names)......
Segmentation fault

With the original drive in there I got only 'segmentation fault'.

6. Since it installed on the Gateway PII and on two 'fast' AMD's (my 500
and Ron's 400) I next tried moving that drive to the AMD K-6 300.

Big surprise - it refused to load BL2 to either ramdisk or hard drive,
told me I did not have a real disk image. I put in a new copy of zimage,
did not help. What is going on here?

7. So I removed that drive and ran linux from the original hard drive in
the AMD 300. I tried to cable over Opera and Realplayer with plip, as
before, and was told nc: Connection not established. I used the numbers
that worked with other pairs of computers but they did not work here. How
do I figure out the proper addresses (host names) for this pair?

We ended up transferring the files via DOS llpro. THe parallel ports work
fine in DOS. Then copying to linux and installing.

This time linux let me boot (on the original hard drive) but when I tried
to install Realplayer I got the Translation Table errors and Segmentation
fault. A real disappointment as I thought this computer was my best bet.

So far Realplayer has installed on 2 of 4 computers and it is not the
software which is a problem since the same software works in one computer
and not in two others (in fact the drive won't even boot in one of the
computers). If it were a problem of the drive being too slow for the
compute,r it should have worked in the PI 166 where it did not, but it did
work in the PII 266 MHz. (P = Intel)

We have 5 other computers to try this in not counting 6 DFIs (3 different
motherboards, Intel or Cyrix CPU).

Summary to date:

Installed on AMD K5 400 and 500 MHz, NOT on 300MHz
Installed on Intel PII 266mHz, not on PI 166MHz

I don't know if it is the processor or the motherboard so I will try
another PI 166 and a PI 233 (Intel).

Anyone want to bet on the outcome? I was betting on the AMD 300 to work.