baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 16:36:53 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I put together a temporary linux hard drive (using plip to transfer files)
> and was hoping to manage with just xvesa.tgz and bl2-x.tgz but apparently
> that is not enough to get xinit or startx. What other file(s) do I need?
> Probably not xvg16.tgz or xfnts.tgz, but do I need all the others on the
> list for X? xbin xcfg xlib xpm and most likely startx?

I experimented by starting with xvesa.tgz and xbin.tgz and I can get the
hatched screen but I forget how to get an xterm after that - anyone want
to remind me?

xbin.tgz is 2.7M and most of it is probably not needed. Steven, what
parts of it are actually essential for use with Xvesa? I would like to
delete the rest of this, such as twm.

So I added bl2-x and tried 'xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa' and got a
message about icewm needing some file with xpm in the name.

I installed xpm.tgz and now it all works. xpm said is it needed to store
and retrieve bitmaps.

I did not need xvg16 or xcfg or xlib (needed if you want locale files or
bitmaps or config files, it says). Or startx. There is an xinit and a
startx in xbin.tgz.

I was able to run Opera (with fixed fonts only - I did not install any
fonts) at 1024 and 24-bit color (add after Xvesa on the above line
-screen 1024x768x24).

To get a choice of non-system fonts I would probably need to install
xfnts.tgz and the 100dpi package as well.

(The pico used in pine 4.44 here has a working DEL key!).

While at 24-bit color, I typed ./ followed by the name of the Realplayer8
for linux file and it installed. Well, most of it installed, as they did
not bother to make it possible ot install mime types or netscape plugin
without a mouse. The Realplayer G2 (! - this is 8) box put itself on my
screen followed by another box with a menu, that appeared to be playing
something over my 33K modem (it must have detected it automatically - I
was not online and I also have no sound card in there).

Unfortunately the menu is totally unusable without a mouse (the V in View
is not underlined, etc.), unlike the Windows version. I will complain to
Real about this.

This is the third computer I tried to install Realplayer on.

The first gave me an immediate Segmentation Fault.
(noname board with Intel P166 cpu with 'f0 0f' bug.

The second installed but also gave me a segmentation fault message.
(AMD K6 500Hz in a Compaq).

This one is a Gateway PII 266MHz. We also have two 233MHz Gateways.
None of them have more than 2 ISA slots.

I will check out 6 DFIs (3 motherboard models, Cyrix and Intel cpus), a
Gem, a Biostar, a J-Mark and a few other nameless boards and let Real know
what works and maybe in exchange they will fix keyboard navigation.