baslinux - Re: [BL] Problem with XWindows

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problem with XWindows
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:26:46 +1300

entropicdesires AT entropicdesires.com wrote:

> When I start XWindows, a set of "lines" appear near the
> bottom of my screen, pictured here:
> http://www.entropicdesires.com/otherstuff/startx.jpg
>
> It has only happened since I started using the color SVGA
> server with a depth of 16. I was previously using the color
> SVGA server with a depth of 8, which works fine, but is very
> grainy.

It looks to me that the monitor settings in your /etc/XF86Config
are not quite right for your monitor. They are almost right
(otherwise you wouldn't get as good a display as you have), but
they are a wee bit off.

Where did you get the HorizSync and Vert Refresh numbers from?

> Also, since this has happened, I've noticed my screen shutting
> down after five minutes of not being used despite being set to
> shut down after 15 minutes of not being used in /etc/rc.d/rc.M.

I believe the 15 minutes you set only applies to the CLI, not X.
I think you use xset (in ~/.xinitrc) to set the screensaver time
in X.