baslinux - Re: [BL] apt-get

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] apt-get
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:59:06 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> I have a version of elinks that automatically unzips and
> displays .gz files

The links in BL2 does that too. So you can display MANIFEST.gz
using the default BL2. The only problem is that the pager in
BL2 (more) is primitive and cannot search and cannot scroll up
the screen. Therefore, you can display MANIFEST.gz, but you
can't search for the file you want. For that, you need to
install a better pager (less) and tell links to use less rather
than more.

Links uses a script for gunzipping files: /usr/bin/readzip
Lines 5 and 6 end with: more;;
Change both of them to: less;;

Line 8 (Press ENTER) and line 9 (read) are only in the script
to stop more terminating prematurely. This is not needed for
less, so lines 8 and 9 can be removed.

Once you have done this, you will be able to execute d (to start
links in local mode), use the arrow keys to get to MANIFEST.gz,
press right-arrow to see the contents, press / to start search
and (once you have found the file you are looking for) use
up-arrow to scroll up to find the package name that file is
in.

> let's say you installed an application and tried to run it
> but got a dependency error

For example, the very common libstdc++

> you'd open MANIFEST.gz and search for this file's name.

You find five versions of that library.

> you'd look for the heading under which it was listed

You scroll up and see that they are in the /a3/cxxlibs.tgz
package. So, if you cd to the /slakware/a3 directory and
installpkg cxxlibs.tgz, that package will be installed
(and ldd will show that dependency is fullfilled).

> Steven has talked in the past about using zcat and grep
> to find what one needs in MANIFEST.gz quickly and easily,

Using d is easier (after you change the pager to less).