baslinux - Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:39:07 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Why do you say that we cannot copy the contents of hda3
> (current linux partition on an 8G hard drive) to hdb
> (only partition on a 400MB second hard drive on the same
> controller)

hdb is *not* a partition. It is a drive. If you somehow
managed to write to /dev/hdb, you would overwrite the boot
sector.

Note: if you were ghosting (rather than copying), you could
specify /dev/hdb (the drive). For example, you could transfer
the entire contents of /dev/hda to /dev/hdb (including the MBR).
Naturally, /dev/hdb would have to be at least as big as /dev/hda

> Are hard drives always numbered

The harddrives are never numbered. It is the partitions that
have numbers.

> even if there is only one on the controller?

If there is only one HD (presumably master) on the controller
(presumably primary IDE), the drive will always be /dev/hda
and the partitions on that drive will always be /dev/hda?

> Unfortunately we cannot do that in this case as it would give
> us five primary partitions,

The four primary partition limit applies to a single drive.
Every drive in the system can have its own set of four primary
partitions and they can all be mounted simultaneously.