baslinux - Re: [BL] apt-get

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] apt-get
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:18:04 +1300

Day Brown wrote:

> Well, if manifest.gz, or any of the man/info pages are
> inconvenient, is there a way to port these *ascii* files
> to dos, and use familiar dos tools to search, read, edit
> them?

Sure. Just gunzip and copy to a DOS partition. No problem.

> One of the things that annoys me about Linux is how long
> it takes to pull up informative text,

Linux is not the problem. In Linux it takes me only a couple
of seconds to pull up informative text. In fact I find it
easier to get useful information in Linux than in DOS.

> only slows down the interface

It sounds like you have overloaded your hardware with
unnecessary bloat (eye candy?). I use an old PC and
it gets info plenty fast (because it runs a lean Linux).