baslinux - Re: [BL] apt-get

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] apt-get
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:54:21 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Day Brown wrote:

> That's another thing that's kinda appealing about BL; I already know how
> to download a file, put it in the directory it wants, and pkunzip -d
> foofile.zip Are there any dependancy problems with this?

You'll definitely encounter dependency problems trying to install
additional software to a BL system, yes. With the core stuff Steven has
laid out (the core OS plus X), dependency issues have been resolved in
advance by Steven's testing and planning. But as you go further from that
core and try to install other components or applications, you should
definitely expect to encounter dependency problems. You'll have to
resolve those yourself "manually" and/or with help from people on this
list: Steven will often report back with the specific directory you'll
need to look in on the Slack71 CD (or download site) for the component(s)
you need to resolve a dependency. But you'll be in for a big
disappointment if you expect to not have any dependency problems modifying
a BL install. If the core system suits all your needs, you'll be fine
though.

James

PS Your mention of pkunzip makes me think you have the impression that any
dependency issue you may have in BL can be resolved from a DOS partition.
That's definitely a notion you should be disabused of. To resolve
dependencies in BL, you definitely have to be in and running your BL
system (you'll use "installpkg dependencyname" for the most part, and
maybe things like ldconfig as well - depending on what you're trying to
do).