baslinux - Re: [BL] CD-writing

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <Rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: info.wetware AT lycos.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD-writing
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:32:20 -0600

Peter Expolio wrote:

BTW, is it feasible at all to consider CD-burning on a 486DX4/100Mgz w/ 16Mb RAM and
36Mb swap at all? That's the spec of my BL box, and a lot of people have been swearing
to me I shouldn't even think of it. Funny, because I actually came across a LG IDE
CD-burner which actually specified "Slackware kernel 2.2.x" as one of its OS
requirements. But, since it also claimed to need 200Mb RAM, the shopkeeper just looked
back at me and told me to forget it.

Any ideas? Is anyone out there burning CDs on a 486?

Best,

Kamen

I have burned CD on similar machines. You can try it but you will need to be very careful. Use the lowest speed setting of the drive and don't do anything else while you're writing the CD or you will create a "coaster". It will be slow and also may not work.

--
Robert Steinmetz AIA
Principal