baslinux - Re: [BL] printing with lpr

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing with lpr
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:04:30 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> when lynx would not compile (it could not find the
> echo command)

The echo binary is in the sh_utils.tgz package (/slakware/a11).
There is also a version of echo inside bash (which is why BL2
does not include a separate binary for it). AFAIK both versions
behave the same. If echo was a problem, the most likely cause
was an explicit reference to /bin/echo.

> Doug Kaufman said to make this change to the first line in
> his script, with #!/bin/sh in it, and then everything worked.

#!/bin/sh tells the script to use the sh shell.
#!/bin/bash tells the script to use the bash shell.
Since sh is a symbolic link to bash (unless you deleted it),
those two lines will have exactly the same effect.

> Someone at my bbs said lpd will run automatically next
> time I boot - is this true and if so how do I turn it off?

If you put it in one of the startup scripts, it will start
automatically. If you started it manually (at the CLI),
then it will not start automatically on reboot.

If you want to check what processes are currently running,
execute: ps

> Can I print without lpd by directing the output of ghostscript
> to /dev/lp0/ or is this possible only for text files?

I don't know. There are so many possible fishhooks with printing
that I have no confidence in anything without actually doing it.
I have only set up one printer in Linux (my old dot-matrix) and
that involved a lot of frustration. Most printers are fussy.
lpd is fussy. ghostscript is fussy. Trying to get the three
to work together correctly is one of the most difficult tasks in
Linux. Particularly since most fishhooks do not generate a helpful
diagnostic message.

> I also tried ghostscript with |lpr and it did not print that
> file either.
> gs -sDEVICE=epson filename.pdf | lpr

I'm not surprised that line doesn't work. It doesn't look
right to me (although I'm certainly no expert on ghostscript
-- nor do I want to be). Where did that line come from?
Are you just making it up?

> I will try printing a known-Unix file with wp

First, try composing something within wp and printing that.
If it works, you can try printing external files.