baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:40:01 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> > -------------------
> > lpr /etc/login.defs
> > -------------------
>
> Nothing printed.
>
> > If nothing prints, do the following: lpq
>
> Nothing listed as queued.

When Sindi did this, she discovered that the file was sitting
in the printer's buffer (it appeared when she next used the
printer in DOS). I'm guessing that the printer needed a
formfeed or something.

> > ' -------------------------------------------------
> > ' #!/bin/sh
> > ' /usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=deskjet -r180x180
> > ' -sPAPERSIZE=letter -sOutputFile=- -
> > ' -------------------------------------------------
> > All of those parameters should go in one line (I split the
> > line to avoid a random wrap). You may also want to change
> > the resolution (180x180) and the papersize (letter). Also,
> > if you decide to use a different filter, change (deskjet).
>
> Tried also -sPAPERSIZE as a4, and each of the -sDEVICE
> "possibilities".

Neither of those is likely to be an issue (you can fine tune
them once you actually get some printing). The resolution is
more likely to be a show stopper (if your printer barfs at that
resolution). Isn't 300x300 the usual resolution for an deskjet?

> > lp|ps|PS|PostScript:sh:mx#0:\
> > :lp=/dev/lp0:\
> > :sd=/var/spool/lpd/postscript:\
> > :if=/var/spool/lpd/postscript/deskjet.filter:\
> > Make sure there are no # in front of those lines (and all
> > other lines in printcap do have a #).
>
> Copied exactly.
>

> lpr: lp: unknown printer

That's very strange. lp should be a known printer (because it
is the first label in the printcap entry above).

> lpr /usr/login.defs

That's not going to work now. Your ghostscript filter (in
its present form) only takes postscript files. To test it,
you need to give it a ps file. You will find some files that
you can use at /usr/share/ghostscript/examples

> BTW: In /user/bin/gsdj500 there is a similar script as in
> what you have suggested for deskjet.filter.
> Could I redirect through this instead from printcap ?

No. lpd uses printcap. If you are going to use lpd, you
need to put an entry in /etc/printcap to point to the filter.

If you want to do some reading about this, have a look at:
Printing-Usage-HOWTO (available on the Slackware CDrom in
/docs/Linux-HOWTO).