baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:00:13 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> > -----------------
> > insmod parport
> > insmod parport_pc
> > insmod lp
> > -----------------
> > Then you start the printer daemon: lpd
>
> All done without complaint.

To test that lpd is working (before worrying about the
filtering), output a text file and see if it prints
(I assume your printer can print straight text?).
-------------------
lpr /etc/login.defs
-------------------
If nothing prints, do the following: lpq

> I have left /etc/printcap as is for the moment, set
> on default. There is only a small choice,

Ghostscript formats the output, so it is ghostscript
that needs the choices. Do the following to see what
choices there are in ghostscript:
---------
gs --help
---------

> none of which is related to an HP DeskJet 600.

Looks like deskjet or djet500 could be OK. I assume your
600 is compatible with 500 codes? Or, if it is color, one
of those cdj options could be a better choice.

Make a /var/spool/lpd/postscript directory. In that directory,
you put your filter script (in a file called deskjet.filter).
The filter will look something like this:
' -------------------------------------------------
' #!/bin/sh
' /usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=deskjet -r180x180
' -sPAPERSIZE=letter -sOutputFile=- -
' -------------------------------------------------
All of those parameters should go in one line (I split the
line to avoid a random wrap). You may also want to change
the resolution (180x180) and the papersize (letter). Also,
if you decide to use a different filter, change (deskjet).

Make sure your file script is executable (chmod). Now you
need to tell /etc/printcap about this filter.
lp|ps|PS|PostScript:sh:mx#0:\
:lp=/dev/lp0:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/postscript:\
:if=/var/spool/lpd/postscript/deskjet.filter:\
Make sure there are no # in front of those lines (and all
other lines in printcap do have a #). You should also
check that your printer actually comes up as lp0 (when
you do all those insmods). If not, change the lp0 to lp1
(or whatever comes up).

Have fun. You'll be bloody lucky if this works first time.