baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:39:35 +1000

Hi Steven,

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:00:13 +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> To test that lpd is working (before worrying about the
> filtering), output a text file and see if it prints
> (I assume your printer can print straight text?).

Well, it can in DOS. :)

> -------------------
> lpr /etc/login.defs
> -------------------

Nothing printed.

> If nothing prints, do the following: lpq

Nothing listed as queued.

> Ghostscript formats the output, so it is ghostscript
> that needs the choices. Do the following to see what
> choices there are in ghostscript:
> ---------
> gs --help
> ---------

Yep. About three possibilities. deskjet djet500 djet500c

> Looks like deskjet or djet500 could be OK. I assume your
> 600 is compatible with 500 codes?

Yes, or at least good enough. I use an HPDJ550, HPDJ500 or HPDJPLUS
as drivers under DOS.

> Make a /var/spool/lpd/postscript directory. In that directory,
> you put your filter script (in a file called deskjet.filter).
> The filter will look something like this:
> ' -------------------------------------------------
> ' #!/bin/sh
> ' /usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=deskjet -r180x180
> ' -sPAPERSIZE=letter -sOutputFile=- -
> ' -------------------------------------------------
> All of those parameters should go in one line (I split the
> line to avoid a random wrap). You may also want to change
> the resolution (180x180) and the papersize (letter). Also,
> if you decide to use a different filter, change (deskjet).

Tried also -sPAPERSIZE as a4, and each of the -sDEVICE
"possibilities".

> Make sure your file script is executable (chmod).

Did that.

> Now you
> need to tell /etc/printcap about this filter.
> lp|ps|PS|PostScript:sh:mx#0:\
> :lp=/dev/lp0:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/postscript:\
> :if=/var/spool/lpd/postscript/deskjet.filter:\
> Make sure there are no # in front of those lines (and all
> other lines in printcap do have a #).

Copied exactly.

> You should also
> check that your printer actually comes up as lp0 (when
> you do all those insmods). If not, change the lp0 to lp1
> (or whatever comes up).

It is lp0

> Have fun. You'll be bloody lucky if this works first time.

You got that right. :(

On: lpr /usr/login.defs
and any other stuff of a similar nature, all I have ever gotten was:

lpr: lp: unknown printer

(Bugger, bugger, bugger ! )

BTW: In /user/bin/gsdj500 there is a similar script as in what you have
suggested for deskjet.filter. Could I redirect through this instead from
printcap ? Or is there some falure of gs to recognise that it actually
knows about devices like deskjet ?

Regards,
Ron

time!